SPARTAN SOUND 2020
UPDATES FOR THIS YEAR’S SUMMER MARCHING BAND REHEARSALS (updated 9/7/2020)
LOCATION: SUN VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL
ADJUSTED FALL SCHEDULE:
September 8, 22 & October 6, 20, 27
**Please Note Drop Off and Pick Up Times
PERCUSSION & COLORGUARD Drop off in the MAIN FRONT PARKING LOT at the middle school main entrance. We will do temp checks and screenings at the curb near the main door. Pick Up will be at the same location STUDENT DRIVERS need to also come through this way and can then circle back around and park in the main lot.
COLORGUARD (Flagline, not ROTC) – We are still accepting new colorguard members. Interested students should complete the Initial Screening form, sign up in CutTime (see info below), and plan on attending the scheduled rehearsals. Training will be done at the necessary level for both new and returning members. We will continue to add new members for those interested. BRING A FRIEND! Please contact Mr. Reynolds with any questions. (email@example.com)
GROUP A – (Percussion/Guard) will begin arriving at 5:40pm and dismiss at 7:30pm at the FRONT OF THE MIDDLE SCHOOL
6pm – 7:30pm PERCUSSION AND COLORGUARD REHEARSALS
GROUP B (Woodwinds and Brass) will begin arriving at 6pm and dismiss at 8pm. BUS LOT – Same as first week of Rehearsals – Woodwinds in lower lot, Brass up at Curb
6pm Low Brass/Bass Clarinet/Tenor Sax
6:10pm Alto Sax/Mellophone/Trumpet
*ALL SCHEDULES CONTINUE TO BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE PER UPDATES FROM STATE AND LOCAL GUIDELINES.
Don’t forget to bring the following:
- MASK/FACE COVERING (you will need to wear a face covering when not playing)
- INSTRUMENT (Percussion members will use school equipment)
- BINDER WITH PAGE PROTECTORS
- FLIP FOLDER (if you have taken one)
- WATER JUG (We will have some water bottles for emergency use, but all students are expected to have their own water jug for use during practice. PLEASE LABEL WITH NAME)
- Hat, Sun Screen, Sunglasses are all recommended. We will be outside for the entire rehearsal, please be prepared so you are not getting sunburn. And it can happen in the short time we will be outside.
- Proper Footwear for moving/marching. Students are not permitted to attend rehearsals in bare feet. sandals, or flip flops.
- The marching band participation fee for this year is $100. You can bring in a check or pay online through your account in CutTime. If you can’t pay the full amount next week, please be prepared to at least make a deposit and pay the remainder by the end of August. Please email Mr. Reynolds or our treasurer, Sandy Hassinger with any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The challenges we are having are related to the restrictions associated with the Covid-19 virus protocols, shared space with athletics , and working around the construction/renovations on the high school campus. Thanks for your flexibility and understanding.
Here is the formal statement that has been put together by UCPS band directors and central office staff and cabinet members regarding the 2020 marching band season.
During these unprecedented times, parents will need to partner with UCPS to make this a smooth transition. Safety protocols must be followed by all adults and students associated with the band program. We are monitoring guidance from the state level and changes may be made based upon information received. Parents and students should be patient and flexible as the situation can quickly change and may be fluid during the entire fall season.
Here is what to expect this year.
- Practices will be held outside for no more than 90 minutes per day.
- Students will be in groups of 25 or fewer that remain the same for at least 2 weeks.
- Students will be expected to socially distance at all times while on campus.
- Students will be screened prior to the start of the marching band restart and again each day before practice. In order for students to participate, the INITIAL SCREENING FORM TO RESTART MARCHING BAND must be completed by all students and their parents. (ONE PER STUDENT, STUDENT AND PARENT COMPLETE TOGETHER)
- Students will be required to provide their own water for practice.
- No sharing of equipment or personal items (including water bottles) will be allowed during practice.
- Students and adults will be required to wear a mask while on campus unless they are playing an instrument.
These guidelines and protocols are for the voluntary summer band camp season only and may change once the official school season starts. Student safety is our top priority and we are looking forward to giving our students the opportunity to make music together.
In short, there will be no competition show this season. The marching band activity will be used to support home football games and other school and community events as they are permitted. All rehearsals and activities are subject to changes based on local and state decisions and guidelines. Updates will be communicated using email, text, and social media. Please make sure your information in CutTime is accurate and that you have indicated your Cell Provider so that you can also get text messages.
All students who wish to participate in marching band are required to do the following:
- Complete the Initial Screening Form to Restart Marching Band. (click for hyperlink) (ONE PER STUDENT, STUDENT AND PARENT COMPLETE TOGETHER). I CANNOT ALLOW A STUDENT TO ATTEND REHEARSALS WITHOUT THIS INITIAL SCREENING FORM BEING COMPLETE.
- Adhere to the prescribed guidelines outlined in the UCPS statement printed above.
- Both student and at least one parent must be signed up in CutTime. www.CutTime.net New submissions must use the Student/Parent Sign Up, then search for Sun Valley High School Band. (It will be listed as being in Indian Trail). IF YOU ARE ALREADY SIGNED UP BUT HAVE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN…. please email me and I can have it reset. Do not create a new account. Students – please use a personal email for your CutTime account. The school email server will often view my group emails as Spam and they won’t always get to you. Please email me if there are any questions about signing up in CutTime. There is a tutorial video listed below on this webpage also.
- At Sun Valley, our new participation fee will be $100 instead of the normal $325. This is to cover costs associated with our start up and rehearsals, to include additional staff for guard, percussion, woodwind/brass, providing students a performance TShirt and Mask*, and other associated expenses for our students. * Delivery times for these items not yet known. All instructors and Staff will be required to have their own personal mask when rehearsals begin (see below for schedule). The boosters will order tshirts and a mask for use by marching band members for group performances. Fees can be paid via check when you attend Band Camp on August 3-5 or paid online through your CutTime account.
At this time we are not sure how the football season will play out. We will be preparing our standard pre-game and stands music, and will also be adding some additional selections, with plans to play and/or record for school and community events.
Jeff Reynolds, Director – Sun Valley Bands