SPARTAN SOUND 2020
I know everyone has been eagerly awaiting an update to the 2020 marching band season. Please review the following information closely. I am happy to answer any questions that are specific to Sun Valley, however the following decision about our rehearsals and our season was developed through discussions with all Union County high school band directors and UCPS Central office staff and cabinet members. *ALL THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE PER UPDATES FROM STATE AND LOCAL GUIDELINES.
Here is the formal statement that has been put together by UCPS band directors and central office staff and cabinet members regarding the 2020 marching band season.
Union County Public Schools is excited to announce the restart of summer marching band. While this season will be unique, students will have the opportunity to come together in a modified marching band experience. Band directors and central office personnel have collaborated to design guidelines for how the restart will look. The earliest bands can return is Monday, July 27, 2020, on a voluntary basis. Please check with your school band director for more information about your school’s specific start date as many schools are planning to restart after July 27. Due to the shortened summer season and guidelines necessary for student and staff safety, bands will not be participating in a competitive season this year. Instead, the focus will be on a community-based marching band.
During these unprecedented times, parents will need to partner with UCPS to make this a smooth transition. Safety protocols must be followed by all adults and students associated with the band program. We are monitoring guidance from the state level and changes may be made based upon information received. Parents and students should be patient and flexible as the situation can quickly change and may be fluid during the entire fall season.
Here is what to expect this year.
- Practices will be held outside for no more than 90 minutes per day.
- Students will be in groups of 25 or fewer that remain the same for at least 2 weeks.
- Students will be expected to socially distance at all times while on campus.
- Students will be screened prior to the start of the marching band restart and again each day before practice. In order for students to participate, the INITIAL SCREENING FORM TO RESTART MARCHING BAND must be completed by all students and their parents. (ONE PER STUDENT, STUDENT AND PARENT COMPLETE TOGETHER)
- Students will be required to provide their own water for practice.
- No sharing of equipment or personal items (including water bottles) will be allowed during practice.
- Students and adults will be required to wear a mask while on campus unless they are playing an instrument.
These guidelines and protocols are for the voluntary summer band camp season only and may change once the official school season starts. Student safety is our top priority and we are looking forward to giving our students the opportunity to make music together.
In short, there will be no competition show this season. The marching band activity will be used to support home football games and other school and community events as they are permitted. All rehearsals and activities are subject to changes based on local and state decisions and guidelines. Updates will be communicated using email, text, and social media.
All students who wish to participate in marching band are required to do the following:
- Complete the Initial Screening Form to Restart Marching Band. (click for hyperlink) (ONE PER STUDENT, STUDENT AND PARENT COMPLETE TOGETHER). I would like to have this initial screening completed no later than Wednesday, July 15, in order to properly prepare for the rehearsals that start August 3rd.
- Adhere to the prescribed guidelines outlined in the UCPS statement printed above.
- Both student and at least one parent must be signed up in CutTime. www.CutTime.net New submissions must use the Student/Parent Sign Up, then search for Sun Valley High School Band. (It will be listed as being in Indian Trail). IF YOU ARE ALREADY SIGNED UP BUT HAVE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN…. please email me and I can have it reset. Do not create a new account. Students – please use a personal email for your CutTime account. The school email server will often view my group emails as Spam and they won’t always get to you. Please email me if there are any questions about signing up in CutTime. There is a tutorial video listed below on this webpage also.
- At Sun Valley, our new participation fee will be $100 instead of the normal $325. This is to cover costs associated with our start up and rehearsals, to include additional staff for guard, percussion, woodwind/brass, providing students a performance TShirt and Mask*, and other associated expenses for our students. * Delivery times for these items not yet known. All instructors and Staff will be required to have their own personal mask when rehearsals begin (see below for schedule). The boosters will order tshirts and a mask for use by marching band members for group performances.
Updated rehearsal dates and times:
(THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN POSTED EARLIER THIS SUMMER)…No rehearsals will take place at Sun Valley before August 3rd.
August 3, 4, 5 between 7:30am-12noon.
Beginning August 6th, evening rehearsals on Tuesdays and Thursdays will be from 5:30pm-8:30pm.
****We are not permitted to rehearse with more than 25 in a group, or “pod”. Once forms are completed I will have a better understanding of the instrumentation and groupings. This will determine how the groups are staggered on the rehearsal days. Exact location on campus for rehearsals is still being coordinated with administration and athletic department. At this time all rehearsals will be held outside. Staggered times are tentatively planned for 7:30-9am, 9-10:30am, and 10:30am-12noon on August 3, 4, 5. Once again – I won’t know the exact groupings until I receive completed screening forms from all those planning to participate. HOWEVER, at this time I am planning to place students in the following groups:
7:30am-9am GROUP A(All percussion and guard)
9am-10:30am GROUP B (All Flute, Clarinet, Alto, and Mellophone)
10:30am-12noon GROUP C (All Trumpet, Trombone, Baritone, Sousaphone, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax)
Evening times will be 5:30-7pm for Group A & 7-8:30pm for Groups B & C.
I realize that the times/groups may not work for all students, but we have been given restrictions to work with. Students who are unable to attend their specific group time should contact me directly via email to start a discussion about their particular circumstance.
***As stated, these are tentative groupings based on the numbers of students I am anticipating. Any updates will be communicated through CutTime.
Additional information related to music and part assignments for pre game and stands music will be sent out later this month. I need to get confirmation on participation so that part assignments can be assigned for the best possible sound.
We will not have a formal colorguard audition. Interested students should complete the Initial Screening form, sign up in CutTime, and plan on attending the scheduled rehearsals. Training will be done at the necessary level for both new and returning members.
Additional information related to game day procedures is not yet finalized.
Jeff Reynolds, Director – Sun Valley Bands